To boost your productivity and optimize your work-space, a simple 5 S framework will do the trick:
- Sort (Seiri)—Separate out all the things that are unnecessary and eliminate them.
- Straighten (Seiton)—Arrange the essential things in order so they can be easily accessed while maintaining a clear 180º at your desk to increase your concentration and to decrease unnecessary distractions.
- Scrub (Seiso)—Keep machines and working environments clean.
- Systematize (Seiketsu)—Make cleaning and checking a routine practice. Employ self-discipline to be organized daily.
- Standardize (Shitsuke)—Standardize the previous four steps to make the process one that never ends and that can be improved upon. Take time to reflect on how you use your work-space and make changes as needed.
This is the first step towards Kaizen implementation, remember, it’s a journey not a destination.