The Sun Certified Associate for the Java Platform, Standard Edition, Exam Version 1.0 certification exam is meant for people who aspire to make a career in the software development industry using Java technologies.
Before taking this exam, you must practice the following:
- Understand the three Object-Oriented Programming(OOP) principles- encapsulation, polymorphism, and inheritance.
- Understand UML (Unified Modeling Language) representation of object-oriented concepts.
- Design UML diagrams for Java classes, packages, interfaces etc.
- Identify Java Platform Technologies such as J2SE, J2ME, and J2EE.
- Develop code that uses primitives such as integer, boolean, floating point etc.
- Develop code that declares concrete classes, abstract classes, and interfaces.
- Develop code that supports implementation and interface inheritance.
- Develop code that declares instance attributes and methods.
- Develop code that uses the Java access modifiers namely private and public.
- Identify fundamental types of statements namely assignment, conditional, and iteration.
- Understand the use of packages in the Java language, and the proper use of import and package statements.
- Identify the types of classes for the Java packages such as java.awt, javax.swing, java.io, java.net, java.util, etc.
- Understand the basic characteristics, benefits, drawbacks, and deployment issues related to creating clients using J2ME midlets.
- Understand the basic characteristics of EJB, servlets, JSP, JMS, JNDI, SMTP, JAX-RPC, Web Services (including SOAP, UDDI, WSDL, and XML), and JavaMail.
- Understand at a high level the fundamental benefits and drawbacks of using J2EE server-side technologies, and comparing the basic characteristics of the web-tier, business-tier, and EIS tier.